A weekly link round-up of sociological work – work by sociologists, referencing sociologists, or just of interest to sociologists. This scatterplot feature is co-produced with Mike Bader.
Sociology of Education
- Rural demographics and school closures in the Midwest.
- Victor Ray at Conditionally Accepted addresses calls for more conservative speakers, ideas, and courses on college campuses under the heading of “diversity of thought”: “What is diverse about a body of thought reliably in support of a reactionary status quo?”
- The Trump Administration has filed a brief in support of a challenge to the University of Michigan’s policies on hate speech.
- What happens when contingent faculty unionize? Wages go up, as does support for teaching.
Inequality, Ideology, and Violence
- Amin Ghaziani writes in the LA Times about how progressive straight people may support pro-LGBT policies but are unwilling to do much to enact those policies or promote acceptance, and may even hold on to anti-LGBT biases.
- The NYT has an in-depth look at pregnancy discrimination.
- Emily Bazelon looks at how discussion of “whiteness” have become increasingly mainstream.
- Charles Seguin writes in the NYT about how Northern newspapers excused lynchings.