I am finally getting around to writing the second paper based on letters-to-the-editor data I collected in 2002 (!). I’m trying to decide whether to submit the paper to a sociology journal or a political science journal. Background: I think this will be a good paper, at least as important as the other one I published on these data.
Reasons for publishing in political science:
- Larger audience
- Opportunity for dialogue with scholars outside my discipline
- The argument is relatively political science-esque, and much of the referenced material is from political science
Reasons for sticking with sociology:
- The main colleagues I interact with regularly are sociologists
- It’s not everyday that I have an article with potential for placement in a top journal in my field
- Professionally, how will my own and other departments “count” a publication in a cognate discipline?